Monday, April 12, 2010

Out of this world

I thought I was dreaming, when I opened my Chinese textbook to prepare for tomorrow's lesson, and my glance fell at the words "Dark Matter, Anti-Matter, particle..." Had I gone completely nuts? Have my two brain hemispheres melted together?

No, apparently the Beijing Language and Culture University Press sees it fit that you learn these words. We're going to read an article about Samual C.C. Ting (or 丁肇中) who got the noble prize for discovering an excited state of charmonium... that sounds almost poetic. Nevermind, if you have no idea what that is, but I'm already dreading tomorrow's class... I wish I hadn't told anyone I'm in physics; I bet they'll make me explain what dark matter and antimatter are - in Chinese! Damn, had I known it would pay off to actually pay attention to the Chinese physics talks I've been to instead of doodling characters on my notepad...

To be ready for my defense speech I looked up "theoretical physics" and my online dictionary comes up with 理论物理学 (li lun wu li xue), which, with bad intentions, could be translated as "tidy up argue physics" :P Maybe that's why there's such poor funding for theoretical physics in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment